It must be time to dust off the BBQ? How about these super easy and tasty BBQ chicken skewers? Using herbs and spices can really turn your dish from bland to delicious in a few easy steps.
This spice rub recipe will make 12 servings (1 serving ≈ 100g)
1l. of water
¼ cup of salt
2½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon chilli powder
½ tablespoon ground allspice
½ tablespoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Optional: Onions, Peppers, Tomato, Mushrooms or anything else you like to add to your skewer
1. Pour 1 litre of water into a large seal-able casserole dish. Add ¼ cup salt and stir to dissolve.
2. Add chicken breasts to the dish, seal, and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3. While chicken is brining, mix together turmeric, cumin, curry powder, chilli powder, allspice, pepper, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
4. Remove chicken from refrigerator, drain, rinse well and pat dry. Coat the chicken with the spice mixture, massaging into the meat until chicken is densely coated.
5. Cut the chicken and vegetables into bite-size chunks and thread on to skewers. Spritz the veg with cooking oil spray to help prevent them from burning too quickly.
6. Cook on the BBQ until piping hot throughout.
Tips: If you roll the meat in the spice mixture, throw away any remaining spice blend, as it has come in contact with raw poultry. Note that the brining process (soaking chicken in saltwater) adds sodium to this recipe. If you are short on time, or you want to omit some of the sodium, just sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper prior to the adding spice mixture.
Disclaimer: Run Body Run is an online magazine that shares events and services related to fitness, health and well-being that may be of interest to our followers. Please note Run Body Run is not affiliated in any way with the pages or people whose stories and recipes are shared in our articles. However, this article may contain affiliate links for products that we feature on our Recommended Products Page. We only endorse products we use and truly believe in. If you are interested in any events, products or businesses mentioned, please contact the companies and organisers directly for full information. If you feel that parts of this blog relate to you and you’d like to discuss this further, please get in touch via ad***@ru********.com or fill out the form on our contact page.