A delicious and healthy main meal on its own or serve as a side dish to grilled chicken or fish.
Serves: 2 – 7 GLs per serving
2 tsp coconut or olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 large red onion
1 red pepper
400g tomato passata
1 tbsp sundried tomato paste
1/4 tsp herbes de Provence
2 tsp Marigold reduced salt vegetable Bouillon powder
Freshly ground black pepper and lo-salt to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 190C.
2. Slice the aubergine in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon, put the aubergine skins to one side.
3. Boil the quinoa in 1 tsp bouillon stock and 300ml water until cooked (approx 10-15 minutes).
4. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the garlic for 30 seconds before adding the onion and cooking for a further 2 mins.
5. Add the red pepper and aubergine flesh, cover and cook until they become soft (approx 10 minutes).
6. Add the passata, herbs, tomato paste, bouillon powder and seasoning and let the mixture simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Combine the quinoa with the mixture.
8. Lightly brush the outside of the aubergine skins with oil and fill each with the quinoa and tomato mixture. You will not need to use all the filling and can reserve the rest for a light meal the next day.
9. Place aubergines in a roasting dish and cover with foil. Cook in preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes.
10. Serve on their own for a light meal or as an accompaniment to the main meal (e.g. fish).
Nutritional Therapist | Find out more about Everyday Nutrition here