Blueberry Pecan Flax Muffin
Makes 1 serving
½ teaspoon coconut oil or ghee
2 tablespoons ground flax seed (flax meal)
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 packet stevia
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch sea salt
¼ cup blueberries
1 tablespoon chopped pecans
2 teaspoon butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1. Grease an oven safe 10–12 ounce ramekin with ½ teaspoon coconut oil or ghee.
2. In a separate small bowl or mug, whisk the egg with a fork. Add ground flax, baking powder, stevia, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix until all ingredients are moistened. Add berries and pecans, and stir to mix.
3. Pour mixture into a greased ramekin. Bake in a preheated 350° F oven for 7–10 minutes. (Muffin should puff up and be firm to the touch when done, or when a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.)
4. Let cool slightly. Use a knife to loosen the muffin from the sides, and invert ramekin onto a small plate.
5. Cut in half to cool before eating. Add a small smear of grass-fed butter, ghee, or coconut oil for a bit more flavor.
Tip: This also makes a great pancake batter. It can be poured into an oiled skillet to make 1–2 small pancakes. (Optional to use 1 teaspoon local honey instead of stevia, if desired, but note that honey was not used in the nutritional analysis.)
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories: 294 Fat (g): 25 Sat. Fat (g): 9 Chol (mg): 233 Sodium (mg): 512 Carb (g): 12 Fiber (g): 6 Protein (g): 10
Core Food Plan (per serving): Proteins: 1 Nuts & Seeds: 2 Fats & Oils: 2.5 Fruit: 0.5